The National Council on Public History holds an annual meeting each spring for professionals, students, faculty members, and anyone else interested in public history. The conference provides professional development through an abundance of sessions, plenaries, and workshops; presents opportunities for networking through special events and an exhibit hall; and connects conference attendees to the community through tours and keynote speakers.
NCPH is pleased to open a call for meeting locations for 2019 (Eastern U.S.), 2020, and 2021. Proposals are due by November 30, 2015.
Possible dates include:
2019 — March 27-30, April 3-6, April 10-13
2020 — March 25-28, April 1-4, April 22-25
2021 — March 24-27, April 7-10, April 14-17, April 21-24
Proposals to host an NCPH Annual Meeting must be initiated and submitted by an NCPH member(s) interested in serving as the chair of the Local Resource Committee and as a member of the Program Committee. Please include the following information:
- A brief statement of why the site is appropriate for the NCPH annual meeting.
- A brief statement by the individual(s) making the proposal about their interest in building collaboration in and connecting the conference to the local community, as well as about their willingness to lead the Local Resource Committee and coordinate financial support for the meeting.
- A brief statement of financial commitment. The local arrangements committee will be required to secure significant financial sponsorships, as well as in-kind support (i.e. complimentary offsite meeting spaces, a/v equipment, transportation, waived tour fees). Letters of intent would strengthen the proposal.
- Information about hotels in the area that are centrally located (downtown, near historic sites, near public transportation and restaurants, etc.); have sufficient sleeping rooms (200+ rooms); have sufficient meeting space (for 7 concurrent/breakout sessions, 25-table exhibit hall, and one or more 300-person plenary events); and have available dates (generally between March 20 and April 20 that avoid religious holidays).
- You are NOT required to obtain actual proposals, just a preliminary check of space and date availability, if your site is short-listed for selection, the NCPH offices will obtain bids from the hotels you have suggested.
- Do check the proposed hotel(s) against national boycott lists, such as the one kept by Hotel Workers Rising!, and confirm in your written proposal that the hotel(s) is(are) held in positive regard by the local community. NCPH is committed to using whenever possible hotels and other vendors with vigorous environmental sustainability policies.
- Information about the support of local officials, institutions, organizations, and agencies who will work together to plan a successful conference.
- An outline of potential arrangements for any offsite meeting facilities (parter institutions with session space and event space within walking distance are of particular interest), possible tours/field trips, and transportation, with approximate costs. Please contact us for more details.
- Any other information that might strengthen the proposal
A representative(s) of the host institution(s) may be invited to present the site proposal at the spring meeting of the NCPH Board of Directors.
Please submit your proposal as a PDF or Word document via email to the NCPH Executive Office by Monday, November 30, 2015.
We encourage questions and initial expressions of interest prior to submitting a proposal, please contact us at 317-274-2716 or by email.