ACE/NPS: San Francisco Maritime Historical Ship Preservation Internship – AmeriCorps
Summary: American Conservation Experience (ACE), a nonprofit Conservation, in partnership with the National Park Service (NPS), is seeking ONE Historic Ship Preservation Intern interested in dedicating 50 weeks in support of the National Park Service by directly assisting the administration of the cultural resource education and preservation at the San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park.
This excellent opportunity is ideal for an enthusiastic young professional who is deeply committed to the preservation of our national parks.
Start Date: Flexible
End Date: 50 weeks from start date
* A 50-week commitment is required *
Location: San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park, San Francisco, California.
Project Website: To learn more about the SF Maritime National Historic Park, please visit the NPS website at: http://www.nps.gov/safr/index.htm . For more information regarding the ACE Internship Program, please visit: www.usaconservation.org.
Compensation: The ACE Intern will serve part-time for ~20hrs/week and receive a weekly living allowance of $230 paid bi-weekly for food and incidentals. Housing is not provided for this position; local applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.
AmeriCorps: This internship position may be eligible for a 900-hour AmeriCorps Education Award ($2,907.50) upon successful completion of internship service hours. Additional enrollment is required.
Position Description: The Historic Ship Preservation Intern will perform entry-level duties roughly equivalent to a WG-4701 Preservationist. Projects are typically on preservation projects for a variety of historic vessels. The intern will serve for the Historic Ships Manager assisting in the documentation, organization, care, and preservation of Park cultural resources. Primary responsibilities will include the preservation of museum vessels by cleaning and maintaining preservation coatings.
Additional duties may be assigned including:
- Prepare and apply traditional marine finishes such as oil based marine alkyd paints, varnish, oils and pine tar.
- Perform routine preservation including application of sodium borate wood preservatives.
- Assisting in the sailing operation of the 1891 NHL Scow Schooner Alma
- Documentation research at the Museum Research Center and Library
Qualifications: Applicants for the position must be pursuing or hold a degree and/or experience in museum studies, history, historic preservation, maritime affairs, engineering, or a related discipline. A combination of relevant education and appropriate experience is also acceptable.
- Must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident.
- Must be 18 to 35.
- Must be able to communicate clearly and concisely with resource professionals within NPS.
- Must have strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple tasks and projects.
- Ability to accomplish tasks well independently as well as part of a team.
- Proficiency with computer software.
- Must be physically able to lift heavy objects (up to 40lbs.) and climb a step-ladder.
- Comfortable with a fair amount of physical activity and a willingness to perform outdoor projects in all weather conditions
- Mechanical proficiency is required
- Proficient in English
- Ability and willingness to undergo a federal criminal background check is required
- Applicants from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply
The interns must be willing to represent ACE and the NPS in a professional, positive, and enthusiastic manner. Drug users should not consider applying, as ACE reserves the right to require drug testing.
To Apply: Please submit a thoughtful resume and cover letter along with contact information for 3 professional references using the APPLY NOW section located on the upper right hand corner of the position listing on our website here: https://usaconservationepic.applicantpool.com/jobs/
NOTE: Early consideration will be given as applications are received. This position can close at any time. If you have any questions regarding this position, please feel free to contact the ACE EPIC NPS Recruitment Specialist, Zoe Moskwa, [email protected].