Preservation and Education Coordinator
Job Title: Preservation & Education Coordinator
Salary: $30,000 per annum plus benefits
Benefits: 10 paid holidays, 18 vacation days, flexible work schedule, eligible for health insurance after three-month probationary period, employer will match 3% retirement contribution after six months, monthly cell phone stipend
Application deadline: August 2, 2017, 5 pm
Start date: September 18, 2017 (flexible)
About Historic Macon Foundation
Historic Macon Foundation, non-profit organization, is one of the nation’s largest, most productive and most innovative local historic preservation organizations with over 500 member households in Middle Georgia and over 6,000 listed historic buildings in our stewardship. Since our founding in 1964, Historic Macon Foundation has served as the regional historical society and preservation organization of note. Our mission is to revitalize our community by preserving architecture and sharing history. Our vision is to be the premier preservation organization in the nation.
Historic Macon saves Macon’s architectural treasures by purchasing, rehabilitating and selling structures listed on the National Register of Historic Places. In addition, Historic Macon educates the public about the importance of Macon’s history and architecture, runs events to help celebrate Macon’s unique assets, and operates the Sidney Lanier Cottage house museum. Our programs in economic development and neighborhood revitalization are award winners on a national scale and serve as a model for other preservation and revitalization organizations.
The organization is staffed by nine full-time employees (including this position) and one part-time staff person, all of whom are vibrant, dedicated, fun and hardworking. The office atmosphere is fast-paced, multi-tasking, technology-oriented and highly collaborative. In August 2017, Historic Macon relocated its offices to a newly rehabilitated commercial building downtown. Employees are treated as professionals in their expertise; each staff person has the opportunity to lead and teach other team members and literally hundreds of volunteers who are interested in our mission. Staff members manage their own time and tasks, and a flexible work schedule is a benefit.
To learn more about Historic Macon, visit www.historicmacon.org.
About Macon, Georgia
Macon is a hidden gem undergoing an exciting renaissance. Live in one of 396 loft units, eat at one of 38 restaurants and eateries, enjoy nightlife at one of 28 music venues and bars, tour one of 3 breweries – all within downtown Macon.
Enjoy annual festivals such as Bragg Jam, Macon Film Festival, Macon Beer Fest, Cherry Blossom Street Party, Riverside Jazz and Arts Festival, and the Pan-African Festival. Home to Little Richard, Otis Redding, and The Allman Brothers Band, Macon boasts a rich musical heritage that continues to this day with live music almost every night.
Explore the remarkable architecture ranging from Greek Revival mansions to vernacular mill housing. On top of all of these incredible activities and events, it’s extremely affordable to live here.
Macon only gets better from year to year. Now is the time to experience its exciting renaissance and play an active role in the transformation.
The Preservation & Education Coordinator is a full-time entry-level position responsible for fulfilling our mission by providing professional preservation expertise to support all of the organization’s programming. This employee is responsible for working with homeowners and developers to successfully complete documentation for Georgia and Federal rehabilitation tax credit programs. Additional duties include creating rehabilitation plans, completing National Register district listings or updates, planning and executing educational events and assisting with general administrative tasks. This position reports to the Director of Preservation Field Services and works closely with staff, Board members and numerous committee members and volunteers. Because this position involves raising fee-for-service income for the organization, the employee will be prohibited from conducting outside or free-lance consulting.
The successful employee will be focused, well-organized, efficient and thorough. The employee will also be an excellent researcher, who is capable of effectively communicating preservation research and theory to the general public. We are looking for a team member who brings professional skills in historic preservation, along with an interest and ability to plan and execute a busy schedule of lectures and literary salons.
- Bachelor’s degree in historic preservation, architectural history or related field
- Advanced computer literacy
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
Proficiency in the following is strongly desired.
- Experience nominating individual resources and districts to the National Register of Historic Places
- Experience writing rehabilitation plans, preferably as approved for federal Rehabilitation Tax Credits (RTC)
- Basic event planning experience, such as charrettes, lectures or public presentations
- Effectively and efficiently assist with contracting, managing and completing the application process for state and federal tax incentives for statewide clients on approximately 100 properties per year –35% of job
- Effectively and efficiently contract, manage and complete the application process for National Register of Historic Places listings for statewide clients on approximately 5 properties per year –30% of job
- Manage Historic Macon’s educational programming, by planning and executing well-attended, informative and engaging programs, including 4 Sidney’s Salons, 4 tours, and the annual Cottage Christmas event per year – 20% of job
- Undertake extensive archival research, preparing comprehensive reports and articles about local history for public dissemination –10% of job
- Provide consulting advice to Historic Macon’s staff, Board and members on preservation research and practice –5% of job
To apply for this position, please email a cover letter, resume and contact information for three references to [email protected].