Architectural Historian/Historic Preservation Planner
Architectural Resources Group (ARG) is a full-service architectural and historic preservation planning firm with offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Portland. The firm seeks an experienced Architectural Historian / Preservation Planner with a strong background in the fields of Architectural History and Historic Preservation Planning to join their San Francisco office. This position requires an individual with a Master’s Degree in Historic Preservation or closely related field from an accredited institution. Ideally, the candidate should have three to five years of post-graduate work experience in a similar position(s). Responsibilities include site assessments, archival research, proposal development, and technical report writing in support of various historic resource project types. The candidate should meet the Secretary of the Interior’s Professional Qualifications Standards in Architectural History.
The position will operate under the direction of the Planning Group. A self-starting individual that is able to work independently and that has strong research and communication skills will do great in this position.
- Ability to conduct thorough, detail-oriented archival research using both physical and online repositories; experience with deed and other property research is essential
- Outstanding writing, proofreading, and editing skills
- Ability to write clear, well-reasoned, and thorough historic contexts and assessments
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively, and to take on a wide variety of tasks, large and small
- Ability to work within established budgets and to plan work accordingly
- Experience with historic resource surveys, historic resource evaluations, National Register Nominations, HABS/HAER/HALS documentation projects, the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards, and other applicable project types
- Background in American History, specifically California and the West, as well as familiarity with architectural styles prevalent in California
- Proficiency with the MS Office Suite (Word, Excel)
The following skills are desired, but not essential:
- Proficiency with GIS
- Proficiency with the Adobe creative suite, including InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator
- Recent experience with Federal Tax Credit Certification projects
- Experience with federal and state cultural resource management regulations and environmental review including Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, NEPA, and CEQA
- Ability to present project findings in a public setting
ARG’s San Francisco office of architects, planner/historians, and conservators offers a dynamic, energetic, and collaborative work environment. This is a full-time position, eligible for ARG’s competitive benefits package, which includes medical, dental, disability, 401k plan and PTO. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Submit letter of interest, resume, and one writing sample to [email protected], with “San Francisco Planner Position” in the subject line. If selected to interview, be prepared to submit three professional references in advance.
ARG is a Women-Owned Business and an Equal Opportunity Employer.