Eat and Engage
Looking for a low-key, low-cost way to experience Indianapolis’s restaurant scene? Participate in one of our Dine Arounds or our Out to Lunch program!
We’re looking for volunteers to propose topics for Dine Arounds on Thursday, April 20 at 7:00 pm. Volunteers pick the focus for a dinner conversation, select a nearby restaurant (see the lists of recommendations here and on page 8 of the Program), make dinner reservations, and agree to lead their group to dinner. Participants simply stop by the conference registration desk to sign up for their chosen dine around. Space is limited, but it’s free; participants cover the cost of their own dinner. Fill out our Dine Around Form to suggest a topic by
February 17, 2017. Deadline to submit a topic extended to March 3.
Past topics and locations included:
- Crowd-Sourcery, Alewife, Baltimore, 2016
- Producing Your Own Documentary Films, Bubba Gump Shrimp Company, Baltimore, 2016
- Beyond Superfund Sites and Polluted Rivers: Intersections of Public History and Environmental History Museums, Pub 5, Nashville, 2015
- Can (and should) Public History Organizations Promote Social Change?, Jack’s Barbeque, Nashville, 2015
- Science, History, and the Public: Building a Public History of STEM Partnership, Lallapalooza, Monterey, 2014
OUT TO LUNCH
Are you new to the conference or looking to meet your fellow public historians in a relaxed atmosphere? Out to Lunch is designed to get conference attendees out and about in Indianapolis while getting to know each other. We’re facilitating a general lunch on Thursday as well as a lunch on Friday geared towards graduate students. Both are great for first-time attendees and NCPH conference veterans alike. Attendees will be placed in groups of 4-5 public historians from an array of experiences. These groups will then work together to select a lunch venue; cost of lunch is paid by individuals. For more information on both Out to Lunch programs, click here.
Please note that anyone signing up for Out to Lunch after April 1st, 2017 will be placed in their group onsite in Indianapolis.
For a list of restaurants within walking distance of the conference hotel, click here.