Around the Field September 19, 2018
19 September 2018 – editors
From around the field this week: Help the AAM by filling out a survey about how 2017 tax reform has impacted your organization and community; the University of Delaware is holding a visiting scholars series on The Black Atlantic & The Archive this fall; The Preservation Leadership Forum of the National Trust for Historic Preservation is seeking article submissions for a forthcoming Forum Journal issue about intangible heritage.
- The American Alliance of Museums, in coordination with the Charitable Giving Coalition, are collecting quarterly survey data about need for your organization’s services in your community and giving trends at your organization since the passage of 2017 tax reform legislation. Fill out the survey by September 28.
- The University of Delaware is holding a fall 2018 The Black Atlantic & The Archive Visiting Scholars Series
- “Shifting the Landscape: Black Architects and Planners, 1968 to Now” symposium from the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture – Sept 27-29, 2018, Washington, DC, US
- The American Historical Association is holding a Twitter chat “Where Historians Work” – Oct 9, 2018
- “Who Decides? The History and Future of Monument Creation in New York City” program from the CUNY Public History Collective, the Gotham Center for New York City History, and the American Social History Project – Oct 9, 2018, New York, NY, US
- Dr. Rita Charon’s talk “To See the Suffering: The Humanities Have What Medicine Needs” – free 2018 Jefferson Lecture in the Humanities from the National Endowment for the Humanities – Oct 15, 2018, Washington, DC, US
AWARDS and FUNDING
- Council of State Archivists Ancestry Leadership Award – nominations due Nov 1, 2018
- The American Civil War Museum seeks emerging scholars and professionals working on Civil War era history and public history for a series of pop-up talks as part of its grand-opening programming – May 4, 2019, Richmond, VA, US (apply by Dec 10, 2018)
CONFERENCES and CALLS
- The Preservation Leadership Forum of the National Trust for Historic Preservation is seeking article submissions for a forthcoming Forum Journal issue about intangible heritage – submit by Oct 4, 2018.
- Annual Conference on Illinois History – Oct 4-5, 2018, Springfield, IL, US
- Registration now open for PastForward 2018, the National Trust for Historic Preservation’s annual meeting – Nov 13-16, 2018, San Francisco, CA, US
- “Sharing Culture: Enriching Communities” conference of the Ohio Museums Association – April 14-15, 2019, Akron, OH, US (proposals due Oct 15, 2018)
- “Conversations across time, place, and culture” – 2019 Canadian Historical Association Annual Meeting – June 3-5, 2019, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada (proposals due Oct 15, 2018)
- “Transformative!” – Society of American Archivists and Council of State Archivists 2019 Joint Meeting – July 29 – Aug 3, 2019, Austin, TX, US (proposals due Nov 16, 2018)
- “Investigating Mid-Atlantic Plantations: Slavery, Economies, and Space” conference from the Stenton Museum, McNeil Center for Early American Studies, the Library Company of Philadelphia, Cliveden of the National Trust, and the grad program in historic preservation at the University of Pennsylvania – Oct 17-19, 2019, Philadelphia, PA, US
- California Association of Museums and John F. Kennedy University online Museum Studies Fundamentals program starts October 1.
- “What Could Go Wrong? Risk Assessment for Libraries, Archives, and Museums” free online webinar from the Northeast Document Conservation Center – Oct 2, 2018
- Membership Marketing Seminar: Strategic Plan for Success – Oct 8-9, 2018, Monterey, CA, US
- AASLH online course: Basics of Archives – Oct 15 – Nov 16, 2018
- Connecting to Collections Care four-part course: Preservation Methods and Materials for Exhibitions – October 25 and November 1, 8, and 15, 2018.
To submit an item to this regular listing, fill out the form at http://ncph.org/around-the-field-form/. Please make sure to include a URL where readers can find more information about your posting.