Around the field Aug. 31, 2016
31 August 2016 – editors
From around the field this week: Conferences on migration in Argentina, automotive heritage in Pennsylvania, radical libraries and archives in London; award for history in U.S. National Park Service; new online program in historic preservation; reviews of recent books on maritime commemoration, postwar Japanese memory, sex museumsCONFERENCES and CALLS
- Registration now open for annual Conference on Illinois History – Oct. 6-7, 2016, Springfield, Illinois, U.S.
- “Memory and Commemoration” – Feb. 2-4, 2017, Charleston, South Carolina, U.S. (DEADLINE: Sept. 30, 2016)
- “Heritages of Migration: Moving Stories, Objects and Home” – April 6-10, 2017, Buenos Aires, Argentina (DEADLINE: Oct. 14, 2016)
- “Driving History – Putting Preservation on the Road: Protecting Our Overlooked Automotive Heritage in the Twenty-first Century” – Oct. 20-22, 2016, Allentown, Pennsylvania, U.S.
- “Performative Holocaust Memory: Interactivity and Participation in Contemporary Memorialisation of the Holocaust,” special issue of Holocaust Studies: A Journal of Culture and History (DEADLINE: Oct. 31, 2016)
- “Radical Collections: radicalism and libraries and archives” – March 3, 2017, London, U.K. (DEADLINE: Nov. 21, 2016)
FUNDING and AWARDS
- Stanton-Horton Award from Organization of American Historians for Excellence in National Park Service History (DEADLINE: Dec. 1, 2016)
- Department of Historic Preservation in the College of Design at the University of Kentucky announces new online graduate certificate in Historic Preservation
- “Getting Your Historic House (Museum) in Order: Foundation Documents for Managing Your Historic Property” – one-day workshop Sept. 17, 2016, Camden, New Jersey, U.S. (REGISTRATION DEADLINE: Sept. 11, 2016)
- Review of “Commemorating the Seafarer: Monuments, Memorials and Memory” (Tomlinson)
- Review of “Yasukuni Shrine: History, Memory, and Japan’s Unending Postwar” (Takenaka)
- Review of “Sex Museums: The Politics and Performance of Display” (Tyburczy)
To submit an item to this weekly listing, email us at [email protected] Please make sure to include a URL where readers can find more information about your posting.